Adapted from the crew at the Huffington Post…12 Reasons To Date a Reader
1. You know they’re fine spending time on their own. People who read can entertain themselves for hours without you. Yes, you might get ignored for a couple of days when the new Game of Thrones novel comes out but a person who can hang out with themselves and a book won't get upset when you work late.
2. They’re empathetic. Studies have shown that people who read fiction are particularly empathetic towards others. This makes total sense … readers can put themselves in any character's shoes. When you're reading, you're constantly empathizing, trying to understand why a particular character is acting in a particular way.
3. They’re a critical thinker. They’re someone you can talk through a tough decision with, and know they'll give real thought to all the moving parts. People who read have stronger analytical skills, so a reader will be better equipped to assess a situation and find the right solution.
4. They has a sense of perspective. Thier crummy commute is nowhere near as bad as what's going on in The Handmaid's Tale, provided their commute did not involve being transported to a totalitarian society and forced to bear children for other couples.
5. They’re easily entertained. Setting them free in a bookstore or stopping to browse at one of those streetside book stalls is their idea of heaven. All a reader needs for an adventure is a place to sit and a good story.
6. They’ll be able to teach you things. Readers accumulate a lot of random facts, and they can usually explain things in a clear, concise way. A reader is the best person to have on your team for a pub quiz.7. They’re curious. Someone hungry for more out of life -- more stories, more information, more experiences.
8. They’re probably a good listener. Anyone who can spend hours and hours reading someone else’s stories will be just as interested in what you have to say.
9. They’re easy to buy gifts for…..and we’ve got you covered!
10. They have a great memory for detail. Your favourite drink? Your mum's birthday? Covered. Reading improves your memory.
11. They’re involved in the world, and I don't just mean whatever fictional universe they’re immersed in at the time. People who read are more likely to vote, attend cultural events and be more engaged in their communities.
12. And the best thing about dating a reader? They'll probably encourage you to pick up a book yourself, so you can reap all the benefits reading has to bring.